8.13.2009

A Child is Like a Moon

A child is like a moon -
     A shadow's pass at light.
It emanates, unbidden
     from the unconsoling night.
The glimmer born of miracle -
     We think - it's partly true.
Reflection on a firmament
     In velveteen and blue.
Just pretty borrowers of beams
     that circumnavigate
a star - a mother - only
     Earthen umbra obfuscates
That sacred glow:
                    Eclipsed perhaps
     On scattered, gloomy night -
But in eclipse, more present -
     The moon will always seek the light
(Image by Boston Bill) I wrote this poem originally in 2006 for my mother. It's been edited a bit since then.

2 comments:

Nikola said...

This was so sweet. Thank you for sharing.

Julie said...

I love how the imagery brings to my mind the memories of some of my favorite childhood picture books that my mom used to read to me, i.e., The Velveteen Rabbit, The Country Bunny and the Golden Egg, Tawny Scrawny Lion and Goodnight Moon. Very Comforting and Beautiful!