2.16.2008

Plain ol' text files...

Do you sometimes wonder if we all overthink things sometimes with computers? Like, since we CAN have X amount of power, we SHOULD... I've recently just been thinking how really nice plain ol' text is - windows users, think notepad. It's just so clean and pure! When I was writing, I found out that if I wrote in just plain ol' TextWrangler, the same vanilla text editor that I write code in, I got a lot more done. I didn't have to care how it looked, there was only one job to be done - writer - instead of typesetter, proofreader, and all the other jobs that, say, MS Word lets you do. I didn't even have red squiggly 'hey stupid, learn to type' lines, it was so liberating! Besides, for those of us who are geeks, plain text has been around forever, will be around forever, and is eminently scriptable, mungable, fiddle-ready, and flexible...

0 comments: